Grill spoilers

How do I attach a grill spoiler to my 87 16v?  I've figured out where it
mounts, now I'd like to know what I should use to attach it.  Also, for all
you MkI owners who have modified a Rabbit/Cabriolet grill spoiler for your
Rocco: how much of the spoiler did you have to trim to make it fit?  And what
did you use to fasten it to the car?  I have some pix of different grill
spoilers on the MkI, but none are close enough to figure out how much of the
spoiler to trim.

TIA,
Stewart