Sort of Non-Roc: Charging problem

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I have a 77 Rabbit on the outside, 89 Scirocco 16v on the inside.  The
problem is that when I have ANY two things on at the same time, I can see my
charging light come on dimly.  The car has the WHOLE 16v harness, computers,
fuse box, motor, trans, etc. in it and so it has the 90 amp alternator.  I
have the 7" round H4s with 90/130 watt bulbs in them, a VERY small stereo
amp, but other than that, everything is stock Rabbit stuff.  I have a VDO
volts gauge and when the headlights are on, fan on low, maybe stereo on, I
can see the charging light dimly.   I had this problem before the swap too
and asked someone who knew alot about VW and european cars about the problem
and he said " yeah, they all do that.  Here, try this"  and he sold me an
adjustable regulator.  This seemed to work great at first, but eventually
screwed up my alternator.  So, what should I check?  Should I put my
adjustable regulator in my BRAND NEW Bosch alternator?  I also have a new
battery and ground straps galore.  Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Dave