RE: Rear Main

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hey,  another way to pull that rear mail out without causing any damage is
to use a medium sized pry bar.  Poke the end into the seal and pry on the
end of the crank with the pry bar.  Pops right out and causes NO damage on
the surfaces that the seal touches.  You can also do a couple things to
ensure the outside of the seal sealing: 1.  Use some sealant around the
outside of the seal.  I had to do this on a Lumina that I replaced the L/F
output shaft seal on the trans.  I couldn't see exactly where it was leaking
initially but I knew the seal had to be replaced so I reccomended it.  The
job sold and I did the work.  It came back!  Apparently the seal had been
replaced before and someone scratched the trans. housing where the seal
inserts into and it would leak around the outside of the seal.  Used black
silicone (a light coat) and voila, no more leak.  2. This is a Really slick
trick that I learned from one of the oldest technicians I knew.  Spray the
outside of the seal with brake clean, and with one QUICK motion, push in
into the block.  It will go easy if you do it fast, and once the brake clean
dries, it is in to stay.  I used this trick while doing t-belts on Hondas.
We would always try to sell the seals with the t-belts and those Japs give
you very little room to work.  So this trick worked great for tight places
where a hammer is out of the question!  Also try some Sil Glide or some
other synthetic grease between the two lips of the seal (some have three
lips) to help in installation and initial sealing.  Works great!  HTH!!

Dave