Rear Main Seal

While replacing my clutch, I've noticed that oil has been escaping from
the rear main seal which I think is what did the clutch in.  Correct me
if I'm wrong but it seems that the problem was caused/ helped along by
switching to synthetic oil 6 months ago.  You know, synthetic not
swelling the rubber as much and letting oil by.  Anyway, I have to
replace the seal regardless of the cause if I want my new clutch to
last.  So I'm wondering if there is any special procedure to do this or
do I just unbolt the housing and swap in the new seal?  Any help is
appreciated.

Mike Hansen
83 Scirocco GT