Re: Rear Main Seal

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:16:10 -0800 "M. Hansen" <hansen@ionsys.com>
writes:
>While replacing my clutch, I've noticed that oil has been escaping from
>the rear main seal which I think is what did the clutch in.  Correct me
>if I'm wrong but it seems that the problem was caused/ helped along by
>switching to synthetic oil 6 months ago.  You know, synthetic not
>swelling the rubber as much and letting oil by.

Synthetic likes to get past seals that are a little used. Sorry you found
that out the hard way. Only one way to find out tho.

>Anyway, I have to
>replace the seal regardless of the cause if I want my new clutch to
>last.  So I'm wondering if there is any special procedure to do this or
>do I just unbolt the housing and swap in the new seal?  Any help is
>appreciated.

There is one way to do it where you leave the rear main housing on the
motor. Take a dent puller and carefully (I do this all the time at work,
saves me a ton of time but I cant stress how careful you got to be or you
damage the crank or seal housing) set the dent puller into the metal part
of the seal. The rear main is quite thin so im stressing to be careful.
Once you have a couple threads into the seal, pop it out. The new one
will press in using the old seal and a hammer. Take some grease and lube
up the crank and the housing so the seal goes in easily. Just tap it in
carefully.

-OR-

If you want to save the oil pan gasket you need to carefully separate it
from the rear main housing. (try not to break it or cut it or you will
have to drop the oil pan to replace it. Might be a good idea since the
tranny is out and after all, you ARE using synthetic! :)  )
Remove the 10mm bolts and the 4 oil pan bolts (Also 10mm) and remove the
rear main seal housing. Press out the old seal, press in the new seal and
reinstall.
You will need a new rear main housing gasket to reinstall.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and