Re: Ticket-cops suck

Well said, Shawn!

I know we have had this discussion before, but you really can't blame the
cops for giving you a ticket when you were blatantley doing something
illegal!  I realize I may sound a bit preachy, and perhaps I am.  Here's
why (and again, this isn't directed at anyone.  It's just a true story.):

April 9th, 1991 should have been my last day.  It was a few days before
my 17th birthday and my dad was letting me drive his old '74 Porsche 911.
 School had just let out and a friend (Dave) and I decided to go for a
drive.  We went to this twisty two lane road that I used to tear down.
(Looking back at that I was such a moron.  35 mph with houses and kids.)
This time I was cruising the whole road at about 40 - 45, as it was a
nice day and we weren't in any rush.  While going around a right hand
turn, a Pontiac Fiero came hauling ass towards us, hanging in my lane.
Instinctly, I hit the brakes and pulled the wheel hard to the right
(which, for those of you who don't know much about 911's, is how most
people get killed in them.  Chaulk that one up to inexperience.).  The
car swung 90 degrees to the left, perpendicular to the road and across
both lanes.  I correctively steered and braced for the impact that was
going to happen on my door.  Fortunately, the car then kicked back to the
right about 140 degrees before the right side of the car slammed into a
dirt embankment (with Dave's arm hanging outside the car!).  I fell into
a ditch, slid through some trees, popped out of the ditch, went through a
mailbox which smashed through the windshield and came to a stop in
someone's yard.

Through a huge stroke of luck, fate, miracle or whatever you want to call
it, no one was hurt.  The Fiero and I never hit, and the impact on the
right side of the car was about 8 inches behind Dave's arm.  The Fiero
never stopped.

What's the point of yet another one of my long winded stories?  IT'S NOT
A FUCKING GAME!!  There are no reset buttons!  I found this out the hard
way, and fortunately survived.  Don't get me wrong, I love to drive fast.
 But that's what the track is for.  Every time you drive recklessly,
drive drunk or stoned or whatever you put not only yourself, but others
at risk.  (one of my college buddies learned this the hard way when he
was driving drunk and killed his best friend's girlfriend.  They were
considering charging him with Second Degree Murder.)  Even if the
accident you are about to get in will be caused by the other guy, your
driving fast will only make things worse.

I'm done now, so I'll get off my soap box.

B.

'82 Scirocco (aka "Fritz")
'85 Jetta