Re: tranny question

<x-flowed>Actually not ANY 5sp T.O. bearing housing will work. You must make sure you
have one with the needle bearing for the rear of the pinion shaft.

>From: Christian Els <tiAn@usiw.net>
>To: "POTATO!" <theforce@invasion.com>
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: tranny question
>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:18:22 -0600
>
>The tailcone off any 5-speed tranny will work here.
>
>I hit a railroad-crossing at about 75 in my GTi and broke mine. All I
>can say is thank goodness I had a lower stress bar on, because it held
>the motor/tranny in the car and allowed me to drive home instead of
>scraping over to the shoulder and walking.
>
>I would recommend replacing the throw-out bearing while your in it,
>since it's apart, cheap, and has how many miles on it?
>

>HTH,
>
>tiAn
>87 16V
>

>"POTATO!" wrote:
> >
> > i recently picked up a 2Y 16V tranny for my friends car, but the casting
> > for the end housing (the section on the end that is 3-4 inches long, has
> > the green end cap pressed into it, and has the holes for the driver side
> > tranny mount to bolt up to) was cracked.....(the car was driven on 3
>motor
> > mounts...atleast it appears so from the grease/grime on the crack)
> >
> > what i need to know is if i can take that end section from any 5 spd
> > transmission or does it have to be from a 16v transmission?...
> >
> > thanks
> > dave
> >
> > --
> > Email problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org  To unsubscibe send

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco