New 85 Scirocco II 8v Owner

My stepfather and I just purchased an 85 Scirocco II 8v with 113k miles.
Initially it will be used as a 'beater' car eventually ending up as an Autocross
machine. I have a lot of experience tuning later VW's, but have no experience
with the 8v or Scirocco. I own a heavily modified '93 Passat GLX VR-6, and a
mildly modified '93 Passat GL 2.0 16v.

I know there is quite a bit that can be done with the 8v... I mean, TT had a
NA/No Carbs Rabbit 8v doing 12.8 1/4's! Anyone know what was done to that
engine?

How about suspension? Any suggestions for very-high performance setup?

Ian Pitts
'93 Passat GLX (http://www.detn8.org/powmotorsports/memberdetail.asp?record=1)
'92 Passat GL
'85 Scirocco 8v