From: max@rieger.dynip.com [mailto:max@rieger.dynip.com]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 5:15 PM
To: scirocco list
Subject: Water Temp Sensor(Instrument Cluster Gauge)

All right lists, I'm having problems trying to find the water temperature
sensor.  My temp gauge has been, but suddenly a week or so I"ve lost it.
I thought it was the temp gauge itself, so I changed it and the same
problem, it doesn't read or go up at all, just the low coolant light
flashes on and off upon starting the car.  I checked the clustor and I
seem to be getting voltage out of both the temp gauge and the low coolant
light.  So I checked the fuses (fuse #18 as in what the bently says?) and
that seems to be fine.  So I am assume it is the temp sensor, anyone know
how to test this?  I went to the dealer and asked for one, but he said
there was several.   One on top of the coolant overflow resvior (sp) I
guess that is the sensor for the low coolant (the one that controls the
flickering light when you first start the car).  But I can't seem to find
the water temp sensor, he just gave me this part (VW part #251 919 5010)
which I can't seem to locate.  You can't screw this part on there are no
thread.  Anyone can help?  Thanks..