Re: Oil Temp

> Phil Miron wrote:
>
> I have an '84 with an '87 8v engine - can anyone tell me the normal
> operating oil temp? My engine runs at 101-105c, is this normal?

100c = 212F, the boiling point of water. This is a good thing. Water and
gunk get into the oil from normal operation, getting the thing hot
enough to boil it off is good for the oil, and good for your engine.

The other thing folks need to take into account is that a hotter engine
will run more efficiently. Too hot is of course too hot but good and hot
is OK.

VWs run hot, maybe not any hotter than some other makes but they let you
in on the secret. This is why so many advise using thicker oil like
20w/50 and such.

hth,
TBerk