Oil Pressure Issues

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I've finally sorted nearly all of the miscellaneous problems that 10 years
of neglect from the PO wreaked on my car. One has arisen though that has me
baffled.

Car is an 87 Scirocco 16V. I bought it not running (well, badly anyway...)
and did a complete rebuild, top and bottom, of the motor. While I was in it
I replaced all the major components (oil + water pump, timing
belt/tensioner) to bring it back up to "factory" specs.

I have been driving it for about 500 miles now dialing in the injection and
timing and suddenly have encountered problems with oil pressure.

PROBLEM: When cruising in traffic at around 2000 rpm (steady throttle/light
load) the oil pressure idiot light and chime come on.

Clutching and blipping the throttle up over 3k temporarily corrects the
problem.

Idling, even at 2k or higher revs, with no load on the motor, does not
manifest this behavior. Nor does moderate or full throttle acceleration, or
steady throttle operation at >2500 rpm, such as highway driving.

Since this car is intended to be my wife's daily driver, and the daily drive
is exactly where this behavior occurs, it is immensely frustrating.

As I mentioned, I already have a new oil pump in it, so I am skeptical to
blame a weak pump. Anyone care to venture a yes or no to that idea?

I have also noticed that the oil temperature runs higher than in my previous
16V, or any of my other 8v cars. Most of them are rock steady at 100 C, this
one runs just a shade over 110 C. Related?

Also the water temp on this car is running toward the hot end as well. Also
related?

I am tempted to put an oil pressure gauge in to see if the pressure is
really low but am too cheap just yet.

Alternately, has anyone experienced a failed sending unit that would mimic
this pattern? Common? Possible?

TIA

tiAn
87 16V