Re: Update "ticking"

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 02:13:47 -0600 "Phil Miron" <mironp@autobahn.mb.ca>
writes:

>Ok everyone, thanx for all the help on my '84 (with '87 engine) ticking
>problem... I checked the timing and fuel mixture with a friend and now
>it runs smoother, but still "ticks" when I punch it... I am going to try
>to check the valves (hydraulic) now...  any suggestions on an easy way
>to check this prob? Remember, the engine was sitting for 5 months before
>installed in my car, someone says I just have to run the car for a while
>(month) and the hydraulic valves will rise fully again, is this
>possible?
>help!!!!

Hyd lifters do tend to tick a bit with age. if its like you said and the
notor has not been ran for 5 months then chances are good that it needs
to be driven more to bleed all of the air out of them. (Pump them up)
What kind of oil are you using?? A thin grade of oil will also cause the
lifters to tick.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and