hard start! (alt. or starter)

Problem:  car won't start!

Okay here's the deal.  Had the battery checked and it checked out fine?
The car will start once boosted.  I will drive around (timed elapsed
doesn't make a difference).  once I stop and shut down the car, it won't
start.  wtf!  I had the timing and fuel mixture set last week and now I'm
contemplating that it's either the starter or the alt.  Which shall I check
next.  My dad recharged the battery and it started the car no problem.  he
drove the car for about a half hour and then once he got home (after
shutting her down), it wouldn't start.  The volt meter in the car is
reading about 13V when running.

Could it be the alt draining the bat. or maybe the solenoid on the starter
is doing the draining.  any insights will be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Sal
81 Scirocco
81 Scirocco S (with all the goodies)