RE: clutch problems?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Sounds like your clutch disk is worn out.  We recently did the clutch on my
brother's GTI.  Not too tough, and if you have the time to do it, it's a
piece of cake.  It took us about 10-12 hours, and it was our first time and
we didn't remove the drive shaft on the driver's side.  I've since learned
that's an important step if you want to make it easier on yourself.  We
spent at least 2 hours just trying to maneuver the transaxle around after it
was free from the engine because that drive shaft was in place, and we took
another 2 hours getting it squirreled around to bolt back up for the same
reason.  The thing just gets in the way, and the Bentley and Haynes manuals
neglect to tell you anything about the fact that it's easier if you pull the
drive shaft.

The manuals say that you can check your pressure plate for runout, and if
it's okay, you can reuse it.  We replaced it without checking.  What's the
list concensus on this?  Do y'all replace the pressure plate every time?

You might be able to get a little more life out of it by adjusting the
clutch cable.  You should have about 3/4-1" of freeplay.  The freeplay
ensures that you are not partially disengaging the clutch as you are
cruising down the road(kind of like riding the clutch), but too much and the
clutch won't fully disengage.

Bentley tells you to replace the pressure plate bolts, but my parts guy
didn't have a listing for them.  Haynes says to torque them to 55 ft-lbs and
doesn't say a thing about replacing.  Be sure to have red loctite on hand,
though, so they can't work their way out.

HTH!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating