Re: 4-wheel-disc

<x-flowed>'85-'89 GTI and GLI models, all 16V models, '90-'92 GTI's have rear drum
(Fucking Mexiwagens!!) oh and by the way for you hair splitters that would
be 8v GTI's. You can use thee e-brake cables form an A2 but they are a
little long in the sheathing but they work just fine if you make sure they
dont hang down.

Dont' know about integral proportioning valves on later model cars so i
couldn't say. I'de advise using the one that goes with the disc brakes and
adjusting as necessary. HTH

>From: T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com>
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: 4-wheel-disc
>Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:22:13 -0800
>
>Nathan Malone wrote:
> >
> > I earlier asked how I could get 4-wheel disc brakes
> > instead of the cheesy ones on my Mk1, I was told
> > to get a set off a Mk2, that is what I plan to do, but
> > my question is what Mk2's have 4-wheel discs?
> > all? 16v? certain year?
>
>It is my understanding that the only A2s w/ rear disks (and larger
>master cylinders) are GTI Golfs & GLI Jettas (and corresponding
>cabriolets, maybe. But I doubt it.)
>
> >and also is the transfer as
> > easy as swaping parts or is there mods to be done?
>
>Swapping the parts IS the mod; but it includes replacing stub axles,
>backing plates, brake lines, parking brake cables, and the brake units
>themselves.
>
>The puzzling thing to me is the exact cars that can provide the certain
>type of proportioning valve. This little jobbie is either a separate
>unit or an integral part of later M/Cs. Some of the separate units have
>a built in level adjuster; it changes the front to rear balance of
>braking based on the level of the rear axle beam, this changes depending
>on the load in the back of the car.
>
> > If these questions have already been answered just
> > tell me I'm a dumb ass, and I'll go search the archives.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Nathan
>
>I haven't searched the archives myself, (shame one me), but maybe you'll
>try it and report back what you find.
>
>Uh, you're a dumb ass.
>I don't think so really but you seemed to need that. :)
>
>hth,
>TBerk
>
>--

Chris DeLong