Re: 4-wheel-disc

Nathan Malone wrote:

> I earlier asked how I could get 4-wheel disc brakes
> instead of the cheesy ones on my Mk1, I was told
> to get a set off a Mk2, that is what I plan to do, but
> my question is what Mk2's have 4-wheel discs?
> all? 16v? certain year?

It is my understanding that the only A2s w/ rear disks (and larger
master cylinders) are GTI Golfs & GLI Jettas (and corresponding
cabriolets, maybe. But I doubt it.)

>and also is the transfer as
> easy as swaping parts or is there mods to be done?

Swapping the parts IS the mod; but it includes replacing stub axles,
backing plates, brake lines, parking brake cables, and the brake units
themselves.

The puzzling thing to me is the exact cars that can provide the certain
type of proportioning valve. This little jobbie is either a separate
unit or an integral part of later M/Cs. Some of the separate units have
a built in level adjuster; it changes the front to rear balance of
braking based on the level of the rear axle beam, this changes depending
on the load in the back of the car.

> If these questions have already been answered just
> tell me I'm a dumb ass, and I'll go search the archives.
>
> thanks,
> Nathan

I haven't searched the archives myself, (shame one me), but maybe you'll
try it and report back what you find.

Uh, you're a dumb ass.
I don't think so really but you seemed to need that. :)

hth,
TBerk