Re: Fw: Transmission Toast?

<x-flowed>The problem is in the gear selector piece that has the dogs in it for detent
between the gears and what VW did is make cutouts in the selector squarish
in stead of roundish like the later model cars. So, subsequently the stress
from shifting goes to that weak point and the selector housing acually
splits and cracks and instead of the sliding surface being flat it is now
conical and it wont allow you to force the selctor out of gear. Been there
done that on my wifes car. except it was 2nd. oh and BTW tranny code ws FF.

>From: Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com>
>To: Dave and Carol Ewing <dcewing@prodigy.net>
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: Fw: Transmission Toast?
>Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:35:37 -0800 (PST)
>

>--- Dave and Carol Ewing <dcewing@prodigy.net> wrote:
> > I haven't heard of a VW trans being stuck in any gear but
> > I have heard of a
> > BMW 5speed stuck in 4th gear and the trans was toast.  I
> > believe it is the
> > sheer HEAT that makes them stick into one gear, probably
> > spinning or cooking
> > a bearing on the main shaft causing the shift forks to
> > stick in one gear.
>
>FWIW - this is the 2nd or 3rd VW tranny that I've heard of
>getting locked into a gear.  Almost bought an '80 S with
>that problem, but the car had been pretty picked over by
>the time I got to it so it wasn't worth saving.  (Kinda
>rusty too)
>

>=====
>Daun Yeagley
>'79 Scirocco    <---For sale  :(
>'80 Scirocco S
>'81 Rabbit Pickup
>'85 Scirocco 8v
>'88 Scirocco 16v
>There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave
>Barry

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
'80 16V Rag