DIY Transaxle Work

So I'm paging through my Bentley last night doing a little light reading on
manual transaxle work because I've never had a tranny open and while I'm
swapping blocks on my '88 16v I want to replace the seals, install a Stage 2
kit, and also check out the synchronizers on 2nd gear.  It seems like every
other paragraph or so they warn you to be sure to have all the right "vw special
tools" and also to be sure that you're qualified to do this stuff.  Now, I've
got my donor block all stripped down and it has never occurred to me to be
worried about putting *that* back together.  Is tranny work that much worse?
Should I make sure I've got all these special tools before I get into this
thing?  What have you guys experienced?  I don't hear too much about transaxles
since the "self-machining" thread a while ago.

Thanks.  Bill