Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer....Pro's and Con's....

--- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:
> From my experience they are extra weight and create
> more difficulty to shoot
> the timing when connected. Ive worked on many cars
> that have them bypassed
> and they run great. I have torn one apart a long
> time ago but i cant
> remember whats inside. Alas my day to day driver
> cars have never had them
> from the factory and so i couldnt say if there was
> much of a difference.
>

> >From: Sonic Druid <s_druid@mindspring.com>
> >To: Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com>
> >CC: archive@porknet.fdns.net,
> scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> >Subject: Digital Idle Stabilizer....Pro's and
> Con's....
> >Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 22:22:30 -0800
> >

> >What are the Pro's and Con's of having a Digital
> Idle Stabilizer in you
> >car...?
> >I have an 82  VW  Scirocco - Fuel Injected, Factory
> Air Conditioning....
> >
> >  How would performance be affected if the "Digital
> Idle Stabilizer is
> >removed
> >and the
> >connectors are just connected to each other....?
> >
> >--

> >  |   Etop Udoh     | SOUTHERN POLYTECHNIC STATE
> UNIVERSITY [89-##]     |
> >  |  P.O. Box 4234  |
> Http://www.mindspring.com/~s_druid               |
> >  |  Marietta, Ga   |
> Http://www.freeyellow.com/members7/sdruid        |
> >  |   30061         |
> Http://www.homestead.com/~s_druid/files/index.htm|
> >  |                 |  Http://sdruid.iwarp.com
> >  |                 |
> Http://s_druid.home.mindspring.com               |
> >  |                 |
> Http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bit/9122  |
> >  |                 |   *******
> s_druid@mindspring.com *******          |
> >  | Hey Americans, where are your "REAL" TV
> Camera's for the TRUTH      |

> majordomo@scirocco.org
> >

> Chris DeLong
> ICQ#45030867
> '80 16V Rag
> '65 Bus (ugly, but good for campin' W/toaster oven)
> '82 GLI
> '80 'Vert
> '61 17 Window
> '78 Scirocco

According to the Bentley the DIS is used only on cars
wiht carbs and FI when sold in California. THe
function is to stablize the idle at all times, no
matted what the load on the engine is. Load being the
A/C on or the auto trans in drive. It only is active
between 600 and 940 rpm.

When setting the timing on a DIS equiped car one
should bypass the DIS by connecting the plugs
together.

As for extra weight issue, I feel there is none. The
module itself weighs probably something like 5 ounces.

HTH

=====
mark hausler
'81 scirocco s