Transmission Toast?

I bought an '84 recently from a guy for cheaps. The catch is........ the
tranny is stuck in 4th gear.
In addition, they tore the s#@*! out of the shifter presumably attempting to
get it out of 4th.
So I pissed off the wife by spending the better part of the weekend
rebuilding the shifter inards for starters (adding to my limited learn-ed
Scirocco experience) and after crawling under the car to fiddle with the
tranny linkage for a while, I still can't get the SOB out of 4th gear.
Is the transmission toast? Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.
Dealing with the reality.

Rob / Cincinnati