RE: Motor Mounts Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1221

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> > Hey- I went shopping at The Home Depot yesterday, and I
> priced out some
> > Plexi and some Lexxan. the Lexxan is way more than the cost
> of the plexi! A
> > large sheet that might net you your vent windows and the
> hatch window was
> > $99!
>
> Eeeeyikes! We've gotta be able to do better than that. Anyone
> have any elite
> sources for lexan?
>
> > For about the same size in plexi you're looking at about $30.
>
> Um, which one scratches really easily. Methinks it is the
> lexan, actually. Why
> is that stuff prefferred and what consitutes the extra cost?

Lexan is preferred because it is tougher.  Plexiglass is acrylic, and
compared to Lexan (polycarbonate), it shatters pretty easily.  I couldn't
say which is easier to scratch, though.  I would guess Plexiglass.

Current market prices for acrylic are $0.82-0.87/lb for raw resin, and for
raw PC resin for sheet extrusion the price is $1.49-1.77.  Looks like that
accounts for part of the price difference, but not all of it.

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale