Re: 16V Compression Test

<x-flowed>My 8v had 220 all the way across. It was only supposed to have 190 but if
its higher it could be attributed to a surfaced head.
How many times did you do this comp. test on the cylinders that were low?
Sometimes you can have carbon buildup stuck between thee vavles and not
allowing them to seat and therefore getting inaccurate comp readings. Ive
seen this happen alot. Your comp. on the low cyl's might even go up still!!
HTH

>From: "Bill Scarince" <Bill.Scarince@tenneco-automotive.com>
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: 16V Compression Test
>Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 09:50:34 -0500
>

>As I'm preparing to pull the stock engine out of my '88 16V,
>I thought I'd get some baseline data on the compression.
>The block that's coming out is, as far as I know, the original
>stock unit with about 95K miles on it.  Bentley sez that for the
>PL block one should expect 145-189 for new engines, a min. of
>109, and a max. range of 44 psi.
>
>I conducted the test as Bentley describes, ie warm engine,
>throttle wide-open, cranked 4-5 revs./until pressure no longer increases.
>Here're the results:
>
>Cyl.        Result
>1            190
>2            185
>3            210
>4            210
>
>What I don't understand is why the numbers are so high on #3 and #4.
>  I've never seen compression go *up* (except during break-in).  I just
>bought
>this car, so I don't know it's history.  Could these readings simply be
>within
>spec. tolerance?
>
>Lemme know what ya'll think.
>
>Bill