RE: Mk1 16v stress bar?

Hey people!

The mkII is exactly the same as the mkI under the skin. The same upper
stress bar will fit the mkI Golf & Jetta and the mkI & II Scirocco.
Why has no-one said this yet?

You need a different one for the 16V and the 8V since, obviously, the inlet
manifolds are in different places. The 8V bar bends back towards the
bulkhead to go behind the inlet, whereas the 16V bar just goes straight from
one turret to the other. The fact that no-one lists a bar for the 16V mkI is
probably more because they never made one, not that it won't fit. After all,
the lump sits in exactly the same place as it does in the mkII.
This definitely applies to UK cars. Whether US cars have different
ancillaries, which cause fitment probs I don't know, but mechanically they
are identical.
(look under an early mkII and you can even see where they stuck a bit extra
on to the mkI floorpan to extend the body)

Surely this is stating the frighteningly obvious for the more experienced
listers?

Mike