Clutch cable

Hey everyone, My clutch feels VERY stiff and I just attributed it being a
sport clutch.  But today, it felt much stiffer and it felt like it was
rubbing/grinding on something, and now there is about an inch of free pedal
travel before I fell the clutch engage at all.  I figured I just need to
adjust the cable(i have the manual cable), so I did like the bentley said
and I really don't think it did anything.  Can anyone tell me any tips on
adjusting the cable correctly or anything else to check out to fix the
stiffness, rubbing and, 1 inch of freeplay.  I also do not see any kind of
fraying on the cable so I don't think that there is anything actually wrong
with the cable.  Oh, one last thing. Should the cable be greased up, could
it just be that it needs a good greasing?

TIA,

Rich Deede
1988 Scirocco 2.0 16v
1987 Scirocco 16v- R.I.P.