Re: [Audio Tech] Air blowing thru hatch!

Pete Jacobsen wrote:

> Speaking of sound deadening...
>
> I've been asking for a year now on how to properly seal up the rear hatch to
> allow zero air to come out. Everything inside is dynamatted and tightened
> down. I mean NO rattles. At all. The exterior is perfect too, all except for
> the air the subs blow out the back (at the top), which is essentially a
> giant elongated blowhole. This space generates a pretty annoying burp at
> each bass drop. What can i do to reseal this? I've tried foam, rubber,
> plastic garbage bags... nothing works and repels moisture at the same time.
> I also need to be sure the lid won't be lifted above the roof of the car
> where it may catch any wind at high speeds.
>
> Am I the only one who cares about clear sound here? Please help me out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete
> 1980 Scirocco GTI 1.8L

Lets try this and see if it holds up to the second phase of a
brainstorm.

1. Plastic wrap.

2. (black) Silicon Sealant.

3. Cord or thin rope, (fits hatch channel.)

4. 3M bug & tar remover or sim.
Brainstorming in the raw.

- The area in question is between the roof channel and the hatch itself.
- Take the cleaner and prep the two surfaces to remove silicon, wax,
etc.
- Lay down silicon around the outside of the existing gasket on the
hatch.
- Place a layer of plastic wrap over the top of it.
- Apply Silicon sealant to the lid as well in the same outer
circumference as the hatch. - - Layer with plastic wrap.
- Gently close hatch to form seal, avoid full and complete closure, 98%
is good. Put a book under the edge to keep it open.
- Place cord between the mating plastiwrap to keep the channel formed as
it approaches the surface of the car body. (Keeps an amount of kerf,
avoids the appearance of a fully filled channel.
- Let cure over night and half a day.
- Open hatch, remove cord, plastic wrap.
- Close hatch and inspect for deformation vs torquing of the hatch and
it's hinges.

Care should be taken to balance the amount needed to do the job vs. too
much which will ooze out all over.

This general idea might be adapted to door seals, etc.
hth,
TBerk