Re: Head advice

At 1:27 am -0400 19/5/99, Rich Deede wrote:
>Okay guys, I have a come across a head for sale that has been ported and
>polished with a 5 angle valve job and schrick 276 cams in supposedly great
>shape. The price is hard to pass up so i am very seriously considering
>buying it. My question is, I if I do buy the head what should I
>relace in it or what should I do when i put it in. I know I want to put
>in an adjustable cam sprocket, but what else do you recommend i do at the
>same time?

Make sure it's got some higher-rate valve springs, either from Schrick or
Techtonics.  If the head doesn't have them, get them ASAP.  Other than
that, find out how old the lifters are.  If they've got more than 30k on
them, replace them.  Same goes for the internal cam chain.  You don't
absolutely have to do these things but it's good insurance - especially the
springs.  Not only will your valves start floating at 7200 (where you'll
still be making good power) but if you happen to blow a shift and overrev
the engine, the stiffer valve springs might save you a massive repair
bill...

HTH!