Cold Starting Question

I have been trying to figure out my 16v's problem with cold starting.
Here's the scenario...
   The problem occurs when the engine is cold.  When I turn the key, the
engine
cranks over strong and will fire just fine (I have already replaced the ground
cable)...the problem is right after the engine starts.
If  I don't give the engine gas and keep it reved *manually* the engine
will stall.
I will then have to start it again and rev the engine manually to around 1K
rpm or
so for about 30 seconds.  By this time the engine will normally stay
running and I
can drive...  Once I get going the low idle will seem to improve as the
engine temp
increases.  Once the engine has warmed up, the car has a great *normal*
idle and
will run very smoothly (stays at about 900 rpm steady idle when warm).
  I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.  Has anyone had something like
this become a problem?  Thanks