Dead battery? Strange problem.

    Well, i'll start from the begining. One night my '87 16v took a
while to get started, it would turn over really slow until it got
started up, but once it was started it ran fine. Same thing happened the
next morning. But at about lunch time that day I tried to start it
again, but this time it wouldnt start at all, it just sort of made a
clicking noise that came from somewhere under the hood, and also all the
instruments flashed along with the clicks... I didnt think my battery
was dead because the volt meter still said ~13v and I could still play
my radio and turn all the lights on. But i tried a boost from my friend
anyways, and it started up fine. which I thought was weird. could the
battery have enough power to power eveything but not start the engine?
after driving for 15mins, I turned the car and tried to start it again,
and it started fine twice. I came back in an hour to try again and the
same clicking noise but no starting. Is something draining my battery?
what should I check for? Or should I just give in and take it to a
mechanic?

Thanks for any help!
Tyler