Re: oil cooler questions

At 01:21 PM 5/10/99 +0100, Jonas Karlsson wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I just got a used oil cooler kit (euro GTI filter mount, braided hoses,
>cooler) and was wondering if anyone has any bits of useful info for me
>when I put this thing in. Areas of concern/questions are:
>
>1) My car is an 85 8V, so it has the watercooled oil cooler sandwiched
>between the filter and mount, What's the best way to bypass this (the
>problem is the coolant hoses)? I've pulled some pieces off of an
>older(83) non-oil coolered rocco, to try to retro-fit the cooling
>system, but if there are any other ideas, I'd like to hear them.
>
>Jonas
>85 Scirocco

Just remove the cooler and install the small threaded pipe(that the filter
attaches to) from a non-coolered car.  As for the coolant hoses, how about
a hose from a car that doesn't have the cooler or just put on caps.  I did
this on a GTI I had while in CA because apparently nobody could find(or had
heard of) a non oil coolered GTI.  These caps are kind of like coolant hose
nipples that you just clamp on.

John