Re: oil cooler questions

> 1) My car is an 85 8V, so it has the watercooled oil
> cooler sandwiched
> between the filter and mount, What's the best way to
> bypass this (the
> problem is the coolant hoses)? I've pulled some
> pieces off of an
> older(83) non-oil coolered rocco, to try to
> retro-fit the cooling
> system, but if there are any other ideas, I'd like
> to hear them.

This is just a thought, I am not sure how the new oil
cooler works, but if you really want to bypass the old
oil cooler, you could just get one hose to replace the
2 that are there.  I wouldn't think there would be any
major problems with leaving it there.

> 2) Is it a problem that there is some oil always in
> the oil cooler, so
> that at an oil change, you don't get out all of the
> old dirty oil? Is it
> recommended to change the oil more frequently for
> this reason?

Nope - the oil cooler does not collect oil at all. It
collects coolant on the outside, and is a straight
tube that the oil flows through in the center - no
where for oil to stand.. all the oil that might be in
the cooler tube flows out when you change the filter.

> 3) I've been lightly debating going to synthetic oil
> (opinions on this
> are also welcomed) and I would think that if I was
> going to do it, then
> I should do it when I put in the oil cooler (or
> before), so that I get
> as much of the old oil out as possible, right?
> However, my car already
> drips a little oil, and the thought of having the
> synthetic find any
> more ways to leak doesn't sound like fun to me. Is
> it really worth it?

synthetic oil kicks ass.

===
Mark