oil cooler questions

Hi all,

I just got a used oil cooler kit (euro GTI filter mount, braided hoses,
cooler) and was wondering if anyone has any bits of useful info for me
when I put this thing in. Areas of concern/questions are:

1) My car is an 85 8V, so it has the watercooled oil cooler sandwiched
between the filter and mount, What's the best way to bypass this (the
problem is the coolant hoses)? I've pulled some pieces off of an
older(83) non-oil coolered rocco, to try to retro-fit the cooling
system, but if there are any other ideas, I'd like to hear them.

2) Is it a problem that there is some oil always in the oil cooler, so
that at an oil change, you don't get out all of the old dirty oil? Is it
recommended to change the oil more frequently for this reason?

3) I've been lightly debating going to synthetic oil (opinions on this
are also welcomed) and I would think that if I was going to do it, then
I should do it when I put in the oil cooler (or before), so that I get
as much of the old oil out as possible, right? However, my car already
drips a little oil, and the thought of having the synthetic find any
more ways to leak doesn't sound like fun to me. Is it really worth it?

4) Any other comments/suggestions/advice for the oil cooler install?

TIA

Jonas
85 Scirocco