Re: Non Rocco AUDI TT

On Thu, May 6, 1999 9:14 AM, Shawn C Meze <mailto:skerocdriver@juno.com>
wrote:
>I saw the car at the International Autoshow and it had the biggest crowd
>in the VW area. (The NB was being ignored this year.)
>Sharp looking car. I think its a great way to bring back the Ghia if VW
>ever decided to fly the VW logo on the grill. NB and the NG?? kewl.

The new Automobile magazine features the TT as well as the forthcoming TT
Roadster (convertible). What I thought was interesting was the opening
paragraph of the article on the TT:

Dr. Ferdinand Piech, chairman of the Volkswagen AG, must be animated by the
spirits of two men: Walter Gropius and Briggs Cunningham. Like Gropius, the
founder of the Bauhaus school of design, he has a zeal for elegant and
affordable products. And like Cunningham, the great sportsman who brought
an American presence back to Le Mans in the 1950's, Piech is a sports car
fanatic. These two personalities meet in his best product, the Audi TT.

Now, I'm not gonna deny the impressive design characteristics of the new
VW's and Audis, but what's up with the idea that Piech is a "sports car
fanatic". If the TT was the only car they made I might let it slide, but VW
hasn't done jack in the sporty world since the death of the corrado! GTI's
get more bloated and the rest are being pushed to the upscale market. Audi
is in pretty much the same position with a bunch of nice sedans, but
nothing really catering to the performance oriented until the TT came out.
I just gotta wonder how the writer came up with this stuff (or how his bad
grammar made it past the editors).

All that said, I would gladly trade my 'rocco for the 6-speed 225hp 1.8T
quattro version when it gets here. In silver, please.

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v