Re: How To Clean Up Old Rims

Sean Martin wrote:

> I've got a set of used 15" rims that I want to throw on the
> rocco (five spoke from a 92 Passat). There is a heavy build up of
> crud on them, especially on the back side, and in the crevices on
> the front, and around the weights.   Some of the clear coat is going
> funky.  Is it possible to remove the paint and have them repainted
> and clear coated?  Or is is better just to work at it with a
> polishing tip on the old dremel tool?  I was thinking of
> sandblasting so they would get an even finish before painting.

Try one of the wheel repair houses, like Wheels America (www.fixrim.com).
For $99 they repair damage and refinish and re-clearcoat wheels and make
them look absolutely brand new.  I'm sure they would just refinish for
considerably less.  Their work is superb, and turnaround is 24 hours...

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA