exhaust manifold

Ok, i have heard that in pre 81 rabbits or something like that, the 4-
2 exhasut manifold can be used to replace the horrible 4 into 1 that
i have on my 86 8valve. My question, is exactly what years of
rabbit can be used, do they need to be deisel? Is there a reason
that the dual outlet exhaust manifold from an a2 can not be used?
Also, do i need a special downpipe to connect with the cat? Can I
use the one from that rabbit, or do i need to get as pecial one?
Also, is the manifold that i get out of the rabbit the same as the
"euro manifold" or is it smaller than the one that i could order from
TT, or is it the same.
Thank you for any and all information that anyone can give me,
Robert Luhrs
86 8 valve