Re: Steering Wheel removal

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:05:37 +0100 "MarkThomas" <scirocco.gt@virgin.net>
writes:
>As the subject says I'm planning on removing the steering wheel.
>It isn't centred properly and I want every part of the car to be just
right.

I can relate. Itrs annoying going down the freeway with the wheel turned
to the right. Damn it!  :)

>Is there anything I should be careful of when removing it?

Oh yeah! Be careful not to smack yourself in the face when the wheel
comes off. :)
Actually, once the 24mm nut is removed, just wiggle the wheel to break it
loose from the splines. Work it a bit and it should some off easily.
Im lazy and I use an impact with with a deep well socket. If you dont
have access to one, just lock the wheel and use a breaker bar.

>When replacing the wheel, does the nut have to be tightened to a
>specific torque setting?
>I don't have a torque wrench

I use the same impact to reinstall the nut on my car. If itsnot tight
enough, the turn signal reset tab doesnt sit down far enough for it to
turn off the turn signal after ive turned. if your using a stock wheel (I
have a Momo wheel) you shouldnt have this problem. Just dont forget to
reinstall the horn wire.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and