AC / Climate control or lack there-of

I just recently purchased a 1986 with 92k, AC, sunroof, pwr brakes,
steering, mirrors, rear wiper/wash, and it has a few other optional
equip(lights in glove box, trunk etc.). The sunroof slides and tilts. It
does need some minor work, but has been taken care of (great maintenance
history). My question is concerning the AC, when the AC is turned on, I
get cold air from the side vents, and knee vents. The air is also cold
coming out of the floor vents, but the center vent will blow luke warm
air, and when the AC is off, it will give out heat. I think the vacuum
distribution valve is the culprit, because when I slide the air
distribution lever to the far left, the flap does not close on the fresh
air inlet, so it does not recirculate. Maybe the cables controlling the
air flow valves? I am trying to get my web site in order to show the
newest addition, and I'll pass the address soon. TIA==chad