Hydraulic lifter noise

 I've got at least one hydraulic lifter on my 16V that is sticky. It makes
noise, but not always. Sometimes after the car has been run for a while,
like on the interstate, it goes away.

 Has anyone tried any of the supposed cures for this? Either the engine
cleaner additives, or the story about running ATF instead of engine oil for
a few minute to clean everything out?

 Alternatively, how difficult is it to swap these on a 16V? The Bentley
makes it look like I've got to tear down alot of stuff, and then completely
retime everything. Are there any quicker/simpler methods? What about
special tools?

TIA,
Brad