Steering, brakes & intro

Hi all introduction bellow with problems first.

On carrying out tests today prior to its British safety test the “MOT” I
found some movement at the steering wheel which appears to be from the
steering column bearing. The movement is up and down by only a small amount
but not side to side. Is the bush if there is one replaceable or do I need
to do something else? I know someone recently asked and was replied to with
a similar problem but I deleted it.

I tried to replace the rear brake cylinders today but managed to round the
steel brake line to wheel cylinder nut using an 11mm brake nut spanner (the
ring spanner with a slot type). As the nut is toast and I have a new
cylinder I will change the steel line but will I end up changing all pipes
as I meet seized joint after seized joint?

The steel pipes all look as good as new and I can not see fault with the
rubber hoses but I suspect them to be original as no mention of them having
been changed in the service history.

My intro, better late than never.
I am the second owner of a 1987, Scirocco GTX and have every service/ repair
sheet from the day it was sold to the original mature lady owner.
The car is original unmarked black and in its original UK spec including the
suspension which I kept original when I changed it.
I believe the scirocco is one of the best cars available of any make when
all the important factors are considered i.e. drive ability performance,
build quality, resistance to rust, availability of quality sensible priced
spares and fuel economy as a package.
My co-workers and my neighbours who all drive relatively new Euro boxes from
all the major world manufacturers are unable to understand the scirocco
appeal. They think I must have some form of stress as I changed my Volvo to
a Triumph Trident 900 motorbike and added the Scirocco as my daily driver
and tinker on the driveway plaything.

Dave
Trident 900
Scirocco GTX