Re: Motronic Idle Problems

>Ok I really need some help on this one. I have motronic engine
>management from a '93 passat on my rocco. I have a problem with the idle
>going up and down from 900-1100 rpms. I've test just about everything,
>cleaned all my connectors, and set timing and mixture. I am in need of
>two knock sensors. I'm waiting to get paid to replace them, one is
>cracked and loose, the other has a frayed wire. I've been running
>chevron 92 octane and have not heard any pinging. I plan to take care of
>this problem asap. Does anyone know if this is causing my idle problem,
>I've had several people tell me this wasn't possible but I'm wondering..
>Thanks..
>
>Jason.
>87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.

What other pieces have you replaced?  This could be a marginal O2
sensor.  Stick a meter on it and see what's up with it. (I won't
detail the procedure here as it's in the Bentley manual).  I wouldn't
think the bad sensors would do that...put a timing light on the
engine and see if it's changing by itself as the idle floats around,
that'll tell you if it's the knock sensor(s); as the computers' only
recourse would be to alter the timing.  Any of this sound like a
good idea?  Hmmm, bad DPR throwing the mixture off?  Does happen
sometimes...incorrect mixture at the edge of what the computer could
correct for?  ... fresh out of other ideas. :)

==Brett