Re: damn i still need help....

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> 87 16v....
>
> ok some more detail...after running a period of time my car just
> dies. at idle, while driving, anytime. The fuel pump in-tank looks
> good, I swapped it out with another used one, replaced the fuel
> filter with a new one, had the battery and alternator checked , both
> OK. Would a bad fuel pump relay cause it to go south?
>
> Detailed symptoms, the car fires up, runs for say 10-15min, maybe 20
> or 25 then just dies. I can be at 4000rpm and it just conks out. I
> can be lettign off the gas and it conks. I can then restart the car,
> and it runs maybe a min then dies no matter the rpm.

This sounds typical of an intermittent problem in either your ignition
module or hall sender. Usually it's difficult to narrow a problem down to
one part based only on a description. However this is a somewhat common
problem and with the detailed description you gave I would tend to think it
is the ignition module. Generally what happens is the module works until it
gets warm, many electronic parts (i.e. transistors) fail when they get warm.
The engine dies, then after the module has cooled down it runs until it
warms up again. I would also check for any oil in your distributor or any
visible damage to your hall sender. In my case some moron bent my trigger
wheel trying to get the rotor off. I have also heard of similar heat related
problems with ignition coils. Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any
help..

Jason.
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.