Re: Cancer of the Battery Tray

"frank n. furter" wrote:

> So I spent 2hrs sanding out the battery tray last
> night, and am ready to "protect" it.
>
> Is there anything special that needs to be done to
> prevent further corrosion?  Can I just use Rust-oleum
> primer, or do I need to pre-treat with rust stopping
> chemicals, paint, and then somehow seal it against
> corrosion from future errant battery acid?
> Mark
>
> 87 Westfalia Gl
> 84 Scirocco 8v

I'd pre coat it with some of that Plasticoat rust prevention stuff 1st.
There is another product called POR-17 or something that's thought
highly of as well. The plasticoat stuff I've used doesn't require _all_
the rust be removed, in fact it requires some be there to react to.

I think Rustoleum has some of this type of chemical in it.

Final thought, you might want to slip one of those plastic battery drip
trays up under the thing before you drop it back in, should help with
future paint scrape throughs from normal wear.

hth,
TBerk