Cancer of the Battery Tray

So I spent 2hrs sanding out the battery tray last
night, and am ready to "protect" it.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to
prevent further corrosion?  Can I just use Rust-oleum
primer, or do I need to pre-treat with rust stopping
chemicals, paint, and then somehow seal it against
corrosion from future errant battery acid?

Also, how long can I expect the tray to last if I treat
it right?  I couldn't get all the rust from underneath
it, but I got all I could on the edges, and the top is
a nice shiny (pitted) silver...  It was mainly surface
rust except for one tiny spot i will cut out tonight.

Curse the bastard who bought cheap ass leaky batteries
before me!  This is the only spot of rust on the
car...

===
Mark

87 Westfalia Gl