fuel pump problems i think

aww well HELL, on my testdrive the car just died as i was makign a u
turn, headlights and all electric worked fine, wouldnt turn over
easily, finally got it to catch after 20 times, zoomed back to my
driveway let it idle for a bit, and boom, just stopped running. when
i turn the key to the on position i hear a nasty whine/cream/groan
from the rear passenger side..is that going to be my fuel pump or
thatthingy under the gas tank (transfer pump?) or aomething else?

Ryan