Double whammy heater question

Oh man.

I never thought interior heaters were so damn complex! :)

Anyways! On my 82 Rocco, I have two problems.

A> Theres a constant hissing going on. I found the problem. The VACUUM
DISTRIBUTION VALVE isnt working. Interesting little gizmo. I can tell
its already been operated on, because someone previously wrapped
electrical tape around the bottom connector and it was of course
disconnected from the valve. I tried plugging it in and it made no
difference, so obviously the unit is toast. The strange thing is, before
my other problem (Which I'll get to in a sec... the non working fan)
arose, the heater seemed to work fine. Well, it only worked for about 2
days on me before it died. Does this thing NEED to be working? Can I
just plug the hissing hole? Anyone know the replacement cost of this
baby?

B> The fan died. I replaced the switch and made no diff. Theres no power
going to the unit, so I'm inclined to believe the resistor is shot. I'm
just scared of opening the dash that much! I mean theres alot of screws
laying around as it is! :)

Ugh. Guess I'll go gut that sucker.

How about some words from experience heater people? :)

altinger@telusplanet.net
82 Rocco