Fuel pump question

Hi, what would cause a fuel pump to die in less then two years?  I am thinking
rust in the tank.  Now for my other question do you think it's possible to
take a universal fuel filter ( the kind that slides onto rubber hoses) and put
it on the rubber hose that runs from the tank to the back of the fuel pump?
I'm thinking this way i'll be able to tell if its my fuel tank that has rust
in it and save my fuel pump at the same time.  What do you think?

Matt
84 8v