Stupid H&R spring question

I've got H&R springs which are rated to lower 55-60mm.  The top of the tire
is pretty much flush with the top of the arches, with standard Montreals
(14" with 185/60s)
There is a problem with this setup tho':  with the standard struts &
bumpstops there's very little travel before you are bouncing on the front
bumpstops.  I've got Boge pro-gas inserts in the front and I chopped the
standard bumpstops so that all that is left of them is the little
cone-shaped bit at the top - not very good when it bottoms out. It also
tends to bounce over long undulations on the motorway.  One solution I
haven't got round to trying is poly bump-stops as they should give better
damping

The ultimate solution for these springs seems to be Bilsteins or something
similarly stiff: the previous owner of the springs had them on his car and
had no problems with bounce or bottoming-out.  He didn't have any bump-stops
fitted at all.

I'll be trying the poly bump-stops soon ( next few weeks ) - let me know if
you want results.

HTH

Ewan Hopkins.

<mailto:majordomo@scirocco.org> .