Re: Mk1 cluster securing?

From: "Pete Jacobsen" <fluidweb@hotmail.com>

About that single screw... Has anyone added a second screw to the other
side of the cluster to hold it more firmly in place? Is there an easy
way to mount a bracket? Also, is there a fool-proof way to secure the
head unit using permanent screws of some sort? Or at least something to
buy time with?

I've taken out my cluster twice so far, once to fix the speedo (props to
the speedo.fix guide online) and another time to scrape off the
woodgrain and add some metallic silver. I find that the face will move
in and out pretty easily (on the driver's side) and since everything is
dynamatted and double-bolted on the rest of the body, why not secure the
dash?

Later,

     Pete
     1980 Silverocco

Pete,
The trouble is (to me) is it is such a PITA to even get that one screw out let alone any more. One idea is to use velcro at the friction points that vw has. Mine has these rubber things that 'secure' the panel. I would think if you bolted it down it would also create rattles. Your dash is going to move no matter how smooth your car runs and rattles are the one this that drives me to drink.

Just some thoughts

mark hausler
'81 scirocco s
'94 toyo 4x4