Re: any tips on mk1 cluster removal?

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> anyoe have some good tips or pointers to remove the
> gauge cluster from a mk1 rocco?
> i'll prob be doing this soon, would like to know any pitfalls.

If you're talking about just pulling the whole kit and kaboodle out of the
dash, it's really straightforward.  Just disconnect the speedo and all the
other stuff, take out the switches and one screw, and it pops out.  If you
want to remove the steering wheel, it makes life easier; you don't have
to, though, IIRC.

The screw, if it's still there, is on the side of the cluster where the
radio is.  Once the radio's out, look in there on the left.  If it hasn't
fallen out, you'll see it.

One BIG tip:  When you put it back in, don't forget hook up the wiring
harness in the center!  I did, and bought an alternator I didn't need.
Without those wires, the blasted battery won't charge.

Carlyle