Re: transfer pump question

Sounds very much like the sort of problems I used to have. It will be
either the lifter pump isn't working or the strainer on the bottom of
the pump is clogged.  The strainer is on the end of the lift tube, which
is basically an extension of the bottom of the lifter pump.  I ended-up
replacing my main pump with a new one and fitting a secondhand lifter
assembly.  I didn't bother testing my old pump but the strainer was
pretty clogged.

I would try cleaning the strainer, then getting a secondhand lifter
before replacing the main pump.

You could check to see if the lifter pump is working by taking off the
cover from the tank access point under the back seat.  You should see 2
fuel lines & a 2-pin connector.  With the car running you should be able
to feel if there is any vibration from the lifter pump as it is part of
the lifter assembly which is attached to the round plate with the
pipes/wires.  If in doubt, pull the 2-pin connector while the car is
running and see if there is any difference.

To remove the pump/lifter assembly you need to unlock the plate:  it is
just a twist-lock - use a blunt screwdriver to tap round the plate maybe
1/4 of a turn and it should come loose.  You are best to disconnect the
hoses & wires first.  The whole lot should then lift out.
The strainer should pop off the bottom of the assembly.  You should also
be able to see if there is much debris floating in the tank. If there is
a lot then get the tank filler neck checked as they are bad for rust.

TIP: when refitting the pump/lifter assembly you should lubricate the
rubber seal first as it tends to stretch & break if you don't.  If it
does break you'll get strong petrol fumes in the cabin & leakage from
the tank when it is much more than 1/2 full.

HTH,

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8