fuel delivery- please help

Hi guys, I am new to this group, to H2O VWs actually.

Car: 1985 Scirocco.
I am having a fuel delivery problem. Every once in a while, the car
starts bucking like a novice clutch user is driving.
If I try the gas pedal, there is no response, then, most of the time, it

starts going again.
I have also noticed that the fuel pump is making odd noises too. It
sounds like it is missing or something. Could this be the fuel pump
relay?
A friend of mine told me a GTI he used to have had this problem, and it
was the relay.
Which relay is the fuel pump relay?
Also, I was told that there are two fuel pumps on my car. Could one of
these be going out?
Where are they located? I know I need to get a Bentley, but I can't
afford one right now.
Please help...

Jon